Your Role at Bolt
Payment infrastructure on the internet is fragmented and broken. Bolt is building a future where sending payments is as easy as sending messages. To do this, we’ve redesigned payments from the ground up. Bolt makes online commerce easy, secure, ethical, and efficient for all parties. To solve such a large problem, we’ve put together an incredible team and are selectively adding to it.
As the founding member of our Legal team, you will collaborate with senior leadership and outside counsel to build and refine the legal frameworks and policies to ensure Bolt’s continued success. This will include US and International compliance, financings, contracts, intellectual property, and general corporate matters.
Bolt’s business touches many of the most salient issues in the digital world today, including the application of artificial intelligence to digital transactions, privacy and new and pending privacy frameworks such as PSD2 and GDPR, cybersecurity, and cyber intelligence. This role is both strategic and operational, and you will work closely with Sales, Operations, Finance, and Talent on coordinating the execution of all day-to-day legal activities including contracts, employment matters, company transactions, structuring, and litigation. In short, we are looking for someone to pioneer our Legal department and help define the legal and regulatory strategy of the company, while driving the business forward.
Depending on seniority of the hire the title for this role will range from counsel to head of legal.
What you will be doing
- Oversee all legal and compliance affairs for Bolt’s various lines of business and advise the executive team and management at all levels of the organization accordingly
- Draft and refine form commercial agreements and coordinate the execution / negotiation of commercial agreements with clients, partners, and vendors
- Coordinate the resolution of issues relating to consumer protection, privacy, data, HR, and other compliance, etc.
- Create and execute a strategy of leveraging external counsel and managing engagements
- Formulate, implement and manage internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Anticipate and identify legal risks globally, stay abreast of various regulatory developments, and use critical thinking to provide proactive and strategic solutions to eliminate or mitigate those risks
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization including those specific to eCommerce and payments
What would set you up for success
- JD from a top-tier law school along with good standing of the California State Bar or eligibility to register as in-house counsel in California
- At least 12 years of broad-based yet in-depth contract law and commercial experience
- 5+ years of in-house experience at a high growth tech startup
- Your current portfolio includes technology-related commercial, corporate, and HR legal matters specific to Enterprise B2B operations, ideally concerning international and cross-border transactions
- Outstanding knowledge of commercial contract law and negotiation
- Understanding of current International data protection and privacy legislation
- Excellent analytical skills and versatility in solving and managing legal issues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are a non-negotiable
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. for other than practical training
What would set you apart
- CIPP certification
- Previous experience within eCommerce or Payments
- Bolt is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.